Journal 2

Word is a very common application used as a student now in time. I have used word for quite some time with writing assignments or something else. For the most part I think I have used word for almost every single class since high school. Word is very easy and helpful when trying to format a document or type something up. I feel as if teachers also use word as much as students do. Now in college teacher post many documents such as notes and study guides.

From what I can remember I think we learned about copyright and plagiarism when we were younger and how it is bad. I think now that technology and the world wide web is so easy to access it is important for students to know what they can and can do with the information they find from websites. As a teacher I think its important that at a certain age, especially if the students need to access sources from the web, that the students know what copyright is and how to properly cite information they use from its original source. The best way t do this is show them how and then let them try.

Since technology is very widespread and used on a daily basis, there are many issues associated with it. Wit the issue of copyright, I think the best way to address this in a classroom is by explaining what this is and the laws behind it. I'm sure not many students will know about the legal information about it. Then like I mentioned early it would be best to show students how to take information from sources and how to include them within their work properly. Another issue associated with technology is cyber bullying. For the most part i think younger students do not know that this is what it is and the bigger issue behind it. Now in schools I feel that they do a great job of explaining it to students with many orientations and activities. Schools also do not tolerate cyber bullying which is a great way to prevent it. I think as a teacher it would just be a good idea to reiterate this within the classroom. Lastly, there are issues with the digital divide, the divide between those who have access to information through technology and those that do not. As a teacher I think they could provide some other resources to students so everyone can have an equal chance of using a computer and getting the assignment done. The teacher could also offer time from class to go to the library for a short amount of time daily but to get whatever is needed done.

Comments

  1. Copyright is more than plagiarism. It is about fair use of other people's intellectual property. Plagiarism is the red line but there is also a gray area that is surely not plagiarism but might be using IP without giving property credit. It is all about respecting other people's work and effort.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Journal 0

ILP 1 Participation: Educational Technology for Student Success